As the world becomes more aware of the dangers of synthetic ingredients in their personal care products, there has been a notable increase of higher sales for organic, chemical-free, and small batch skin care companies.
The base below is the foundation for the BEST natural lip balm recipe you will find, and the business possibilities are endless.
The first ten thousand dollars I made from my handmade skin care line came JUST from this lip balm recipe – my customers loved it so much they gifted it to other people, who in turn came back for more, then gifted as well, etc.
So excited to share this with you so that together we can spread the use of chemical-free, all-natural, SAFE products!
The Best Natural Lip Balm Recipe for Your Handmade Skin Care Line
Why Sell Natural Lip Balm in Your Ecommerce Shop?
If you have a handmade natural skin care shop, adding lip balm in the mix is a SMART business move for several reasons:
- Almost everyone uses it, so it’s sure to fit in your target market regardless of niche.
- This is a REALLY important product to be natural – it’s sure to be ingested, as well as absorbed into your skin. Definitely not a place that you want a chemical-laden product to be.
- Lip balm is a unisex product, so even if you tend to market towards women, you’ll still snag some buyers outside of your general customer base (depending on how you market yourself).
- If you have a variety of lip balm scents, there are exponential ways to combine them into gift sets (either together or with other products that you make).
Why Is This the Best Organic Lip Balm Recipe Base for Your Line?
Our natural lip balm at Treesnail Natural Essentials is the most popular item in our shop and has been so successful that we could continue to grow our company with this alone. My unique recipe gives our customers the confidence in us to branch out and try other products in our line that they normally wouldn’t search for on their own.
- The beeswax base provides a high melting point (96° to be exact)
- It lasts a crazy long time and is a constant reminder about your business
- The high profit margin allows you to provide as gift sets, wholesale, or promotional add-ons.
Ingredients & Supplies for Natural Lip Balm Recipe Base
- Engraved Measuring Spoons (If you plan on making a whole boatload of natural products, I highly recommend getting stainless steel with the measurements engraved…the oils quickly take the paint/ink off of the handles if printed on, and then you can’t tell which size is which)
Natural Lip Balm Recipe
Though I have experimented with using lip balm filling trays on several occasions, it’s just not my thing. While it seems like using the tray would save tons of time, the clean up and fixing of sink holes was significant. I would rather be slow and steady than fill them up fast and do massive cosmetic reworking. Filling with the droppers has also helped me to use every single bit of product with no waste (The mantra that my husband hears about 20 times a day: “Waste not, want not, that’s what I say!”)
Why? As the lip balm is hardening it creates a ‘sink hole’ in the middle of your poured balm when it is in a tube. Letting it rest for 5 to 10 minutes before filling completely will result in a more aesthetically pleasing product.
13. Wait about 24 hours before using to makes sure it’s completely hardened throughout. Photograph your final product to post and market!
Things Worth Noting
- Beeswax pellets/pastilles melt a heck of a lot faster than blocks of beeswax.
- As my product line is 100% all-natural, I have never used flavors, sweeteners, dyes, or fragrance oils in any of my products. I do not know how the above recipe would react to the addition of these ingredients, so you will have to do that at your own risk.
- I never ‘double’ this recipe (or any of my recipes), even when creating wholesale orders of hundreds of tubes. Making many small batches rather than one large batch ensures consistency in every tube.
- This recipe contains beeswax which makes it harden pretty quickly. After the balm is off the stove, it could harden in your glass dropper as you are transferring it into the tubes. If this happens, remove the rubber top off of the glass dropper and push the balm down and out of the dropper hole back into the boiler with your wooden skewer to remelt.
- If your bowl of lip balm hardens while transferring to the tubes, reheat the double boiler on the lowest setting until liquid again and remove as soon as possible.
- I recommend keeping a separate dropper and skewer for each lip balm scent you make so that there is never crossing over of any essential oils. This ensures consistency and is a good practice for all of your ingredients and supplies, especially with items that may cause allergies (such as Sweet Almond Oil).
- Do not use the plastic pipettes to transfer the heated, liquid lip balm into the lip balm tubes. They WILL melt. You will have contaminated product and burnt fingers. The glass droppers ARE necessary if using this method.
Can You Use Essential Oils in Lip Balm?
Abso-freakin-lutely. Please do! Essential oils are a natural way to scent your balms, they make a really great variety of gift set possibilities for your line, and may provide therapeutic benefits to boot.
- Keep your dilution to under 2% total oils.
- Avoid using ‘hot’ essential oils in any skin care product, such as cinnamon bark, spearmint, and oregano.
- Use a trusted essential oil supplier (we use and recommend Plant Therapy – their oils are guaranteed pure, you get free shipping in the U.S., and it’s not an MLM company).
- For a quick overview on which essential oils do what, check out our Ultimate Guide to Natural Ingredients for Natural Skin Care, Green Beauty, and Aromatherapy.
Want More HIGH-CONVERTING Recipe Ideas?
If you are a maker with newfound inspiration, the lip balm recipe above is just the tip of the iceberg.
Creating Natural Essentials, my Natural Skin Care and Wellness Recipes ebook, was written specifically for handmade skin care entrepreneurs…or those that aspire to be!
I included every ingredient, every recipe, and every ecommerce listing that I used to take my handmade skin care shop from earning $30 a month to a full-time income.
This ebook provides you with:
- products that are popular for ONLINE sales
- business notes about what DOES and DOES NOT work for each product category
- listng ideas for gift sets and bundles
- hyperlinked ingredients and resources for quick & easy access
Click below to get this game-changing recipe book sent straight to your inbox…on the house!
What Are Your Favorite Essential Oil Blends to Use in Natural Lip Balm?
SPREAD SOME LOVE BY PINNING THIS TO YOUR HANDMADE BUSINESS, ECOMMERCE, AND DIY SKIN CARE PINTEREST BOARDS!
Author, Christine Glaser
DIY Skin Care Mompreneur, Treesnail Natural Essentials
Christine has spent the last decade making and selling natural skin care products on Etsy, Shopify, Woocommerce, Pattern, Squarespace, +++. She is passionate about teaching other makers in the handmade industry how to build and grow successful businesses to help spread the importance of chemical-free living.
Follow on Instagram: @diyskincaremompreneur